I came across the Tzu Chi Humanistic Youth Centre (HYC) purely by chance.

I had been searching for a "work from anywhere" space between appointments—a quiet place where I could settle down with my laptop for a few hours instead of hopping from one café to another. I wasn't expecting much beyond a table and chair, and maybe sockets for charging my laptop.

Instead, I stumbled upon a place that completely caught me by surprise.
The moment I stepped inside, I noticed how different the atmosphere felt. The space is warm, welcoming and thoughtfully designed, with a modern aesthetic that doesn't feel too hot or overly commercial (not an air-cond space in the public area). There's a certain calmness about it that naturally encourages you to relax.
Unlike many public spaces where you subconsciously feel pressured to leave after a while, this felt like somewhere you could simply exist for a moment. Whether you're working, reading a book, catching up with a friend, or just taking a quiet break from a busy day, it feels genuinely comfortable to spend time here.

I actually stayed much longer than I had originally planned.
There were plenty of cosy corners to settle into, and I found myself enjoying the relaxing pace of the environment. I didn't get the chance to visit the café during this trip, but it's definitely on my list for next time.

One small detail I really appreciated was the complimentary water dispenser. It may seem like a simple thing, but little touches like this make a space feel more welcoming.
Interestingly, I also noticed that the centre actively discourages single-use disposable bottles and cups. Visitors are encouraged to bring reusable water bottles instead of purchasing disposable mineral water bottles. It's a small reminder, but one that quietly reinforces the centre's sustainability values without feeling preachy or forced.
Those little details say quite a lot about the kind of place this is.

Adding to the peaceful atmosphere is the café and restaurant within the building that overlooks the nearby lake. Even if you're not there for a meal, the greenery and open views make the environment feel surprisingly relaxing—something that's becoming increasingly rare in Singapore's fast-paced city life.
As I wandered around the building, I slowly realised this wasn't simply just a public co-working space or community centre.
There was so much more happening here.
I noticed wellness and fitness facilities that support various community programmes, alongside open spaces designed for workshops, activities and gatherings. Looking around, it became clear that the centre isn't only concerned with physical health, but also places importance on mental wellness, personal development, creativity and meaningful human connection.

There was also a community notice board filled with upcoming programmes and events. It gave me the impression that this is a place people return to regularly—not just somewhere they visit once.
I later learned that the Humanistic Youth Centre offers a wide range of activities centred around youth development, wellness, sustainability, volunteerism and lifelong learning. It's worth browsing their website if you're curious about what they have coming up.

One area that unexpectedly kept me occupied was the exhibition on recycling and food waste.
Initially, I thought I would simply walk through it. Instead, I found myself stopping to read almost every section.
The exhibition doesn't overwhelm visitors with statistics or guilt. Rather, it presents everyday issues in a way that encourages reflection. It gently invites you to consider how our daily habits—from the food we waste to the items we consume—can collectively make a difference.

You can genuinely tell that a great deal of thought, effort and care went into curating it.
For me, that exhibition became one of the highlights of the visit. Curious to understand more about the place, I did a little reading afterwards.

The Humanistic Youth Centre was established by Tzu Chi, a Buddhist humanitarian organisation, as a community space centred around values such as compassion, gratitude, respect and care for society. While these values are inspired by Tzu Chi's philosophy, the centre itself is welcoming to people from all backgrounds, regardless of religion or beliefs.
Rather than focusing on religion, the emphasis is on creating opportunities for young people and the wider community to connect, learn, volunteer and contribute positively to society.
That made me appreciate the space even more. To be honest, before this visit, I didn't even know somewhere like this existed in Singapore.
According to the information shared by HYC, the centre was created because Tzu Chi believes that young people shape the future of society. Instead of waiting until issues such as loneliness, stress, environmental challenges or social division become more serious, they hope to nurture positive values, resilience and meaningful relationships early on.
I think that's a genuinely meaningful objective.It's easy to say that young people are the future, but creating an actual physical space where they can gather, learn, volunteer, explore ideas and simply feel supported—that requires long-term commitment.
One interesting discovery was that the building itself felt strangely familiar.
I later realised why. The Humanistic Youth Centre occupies the former Yishun Polyclinic, which Tzu Chi transformed into this youth hub in 2019. Rather than demolishing the building, it was thoughtfully repurposed into a community space with a completely new purpose.
I personally love seeing older spaces given a second life instead of being replaced entirely. There's something meaningful about transforming a place once dedicated to healing into one that continues to care for people in a different way.

It's also encouraging to know that initiatives like this have received broader community support. During the centre's opening, at that point, Singapore's Minister for Home Affairs and Law, K. Shanmugam, highlighted how spaces like HYC contribute to building stronger communities by giving young people a welcoming environment where they can gather, learn and contribute meaningfully.
After spending a few hours there, I left feeling that HYC isn't trying to impress visitors with flashy attractions or trendy concepts.
Instead, it quietly succeeds at creating an environment where people naturally feel welcomed.
A place where you can work for a few hours, attend a workshop, volunteer, exercise, have a conversation, reflect on sustainability, or simply enjoy a slower pace for a while.
And I have to say, I genuinely love initiatives like this. In a city where we're often rushing from one appointment to the next, spaces that encourage connection, reflection, sustainability and community feel increasingly valuable. I hope more people discover places like the Tzu Chi Humanistic Youth Centre—not because they're looking for a tourist attraction, but because they're simply looking for a place to pause. Sometimes, that's exactly what we need.
Location Address:
📍Tzu Chi Humanistic Youth Centre (HYC)
30A Yishun Central 1, Singapore 768796
_________________________________________________________
♥ Thanks for reading!
Join my Telegram for more food, travel & lifestyle finds ✨
Learn branding, marketing & content in bite-sized points at IreneKreations